November 17, 2011

chewy carrot cake cookies

Can I tell you about my life?


Well, it's just a small bit about my life, but I think it gives some insight into the kind of person I am. Get ready.


A few days ago my mom asked if I would be able to take her and my dad and grandma to the airport today, early in the morning. Okay, early for me, but normal time for everyone who's normal: 7:30. (Insight #1: I don't do mornings.) I said I thought I could do that. (Insight #2: I am super noncommittal.) She double-checked again on Tuesday (2 days ago) if I could do it and I said yup, I'm on board.


Flash forward to last night, or rather this morning at 2am. I had just pointlessly stayed up finishing a mini Gossip Girl marathon and was finally crawling into bed. (Insight #3: I do this thing where I stay up really late for no reason at all, and this causes Insight #1.) No sooner had my eyes closed than they popped open again. I HAVE TO TAKE THEM TO THE AIRPORT.

I had totally forgotten. I had turned off my phone. I had not set an alarm. Laughing at myself because of how close I came to completely failing them, and incredibly grateful for the reminder which could have only come from God himself, I turned my phone back on and set my alarm.


7:31 am: I'm awoken from sleep by my phone (good thing it was on). It's dad. I look at the clock and half yelp/half start muttering things to myself and answer it while jumping out of bed. He's just wondering if my car is big enough for all them and their bags or if he should get one of their cars out. I'm so muddled that it takes me a really long time to answer his simple question. Also I'm trying to put my pants on. I take so long to give a straight answer that he just asks, "are you close?" I say I'm eight minutes away.


As I run around my house grabbing things like scarves and jackets to throw on, I still kind of have to laugh at myself. (Insight #4: I'm a nutcase?) I don't know what happened to that alarm I set.

But somehow all went well, and they got there at a decent time, and since I haven't heard from them, I'm assuming they are happily on a plane to California.

By the time I get home from the airport it's 9:00. I think to myself I should get started on the day. I have a lot to do. I can get my workout in right now, and maybe I'll even go to the grocery store while it's still early and get that out of the way.



 Instead, I decide to just get in bed for a little bit because I'm so very tired. I won't sleep, I'll just lay here for a bit. (Insight #5: I have neither good judgement nor self-control.)

You can guess what happened there.

So when I finally got up, instead of working out or going to the grocery store, I baked up these cookies and had them for breakfast. (Insight #6: Sometimes I just make excellent decisions.)

(Insight #7: They're super delicious.)


Chewy Carrot Cake Cookies
Makes 18-20 cookies
 
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1 1/2 cups finely grated carrots (about 2 large)
1 1/2-2 cups white chocolate chips
1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, optional

1. Place the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Let it melt, swirling occasionally.  When it has melted, continue swirling or whisking constantly until it has browned lightly and has a nice nutty aroma. This should take about 3 minutes or so. Be careful not to burn it. Transfer it to a large heat-safe bowl.

2. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Set aside.

3. Add the sugars to the bowl with the browned butter. Beat until combined. Beat in the vanilla, egg, egg yolk and lemon juice until light and creamy. Let it sit for a couple minutes and beat it again. Add in the carrots and mix to combine. Add the dry ingredients gradually and blend until just combined. Stir in the white chocolate chips, the coconut and the nuts (if using) with a wooden spoon.

4. Refrigerate the dough for at least an hour. (Overnight works too.)

5. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drop cookie dough 1/4 cup at a time onto the sheet. (I like to use an ice-cream scoop.) Cookies should be about 2 inches apart.

6. Bake for 16-18 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

6 comments:

  1. Hahahaha! I loved that story! so funny, and I could just visualize it all happening, and btw those cookies look amazing. I am off to make a carrot pound cake in the shape of a train, but I am half tempted to make these cookies instead. Someday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy, I'm making these asap! They look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby - I saw your amazing Thomas cake. SO so impressive.

    Maria-hope you love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post - it's like a yummy story :)

    Seriously though, I love how you interspersed the progression of cookie making pictures with the story of your crazy day. (or cray-cray as some say;)

    Maybe you should write a recipe book like this!

    Also, I want to make these cookies!

    Also, I love your blog's tag line - "it's about food".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok- so I am seeing this waaaay after the fact - but Hilarious! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love carrot cake, I’ll be trying your recipe for sure

    ReplyDelete