June 23, 2011

coconut lime cupcakes with basil lime cream cheese frosting


The other day I had a life-altering experience when I randomly decided to stop for a cup of gelato on my way home. I saw this flavor called coconut basil. I tasted it. I got a whole cupful of it.


Those spoonfuls of creamy coconut basil heaven may have been the best ten minutes of my day, but I would never admit that.


For the rest of the afternoon I obsessed over how else I could combine those two flavors. Soup? Rice? Fish? Cupcakes? Cupcakes.

These are the things I think about.

 
 These are fantastically sweet and coconut-y with a hint of lime zing to them. I do wish the flavor of the basil would have come through more in the frosting though. Next time I make these I will be trying other basil-adding methods. But I have to finish these up first.


So now I am single-handedly ridding the world of coconut lime cupcakes with basil lime cream cheese frosting. It's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it. And I am winning the battle...these cupcakes don't know what hit them.


Coconut Lime Cupcakes with Basil Lime Cream Cheese Frosting 
Makes 12 cupcakes

1 1/4 cups cake flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon coconut extract
2 T. fresh lime juice   
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 T. lime zest
3/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes, ground up in food processor

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners.
Into a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
Using a hand held mixer, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs 1 at a time until just combined. Add vanilla, coconut extract, and lime juice. Add buttermilk and dry ingredients, being careful not to over mix. Mix in the lime zest and shredded coconut.
Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on wire racks before frosting.

Frosting:

1 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 stick (4 T.) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 T. fresh lime juice
1 tsp. lime zest
1/4 cup finely chopped basil (I put mine in the food processor)
approx. 4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 cup toasted sweetened coconut flakes, for garnish

Using a hand-held mixer beat cream cheese and butter together until light and smooth. Add vanilla extract, lime juice and zest, and basil and combine. Slowly add the confectioners' sugar 1 cup at a time until thoroughly incorporated and at desired consistency. Add more sugar if desired texture is not reached. Adjust flavors as desired.

Pour coconut flakes evenly onto a baking sheet. Place in 350-degree oven for 5-7 minutes, stirring often and keeping an eye on them so they do not burn. Remove when golden-brown.

Frost cupcakes and garnish with toasted coconut flakes.

1 comment:

  1. Is this icing suitable for a Sun dried tomato Feta and Herb Muffin?

    ReplyDelete